About Me

I was a banker who pursued my passion in baking and turned it into a home-based business.I taught Home Economics (HELE) in The Learning Child in Ayala Alabang. I also was a community volunteer and taught arts and crafts and home economics to the children in Virlanie, a non-govt institution that care for streetchildren.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gateau Sans Rival

It has been a while since I posted a recipe on my blog.  I studied how to make fondant cakes and am busy building up a "porfolio" before I go commercial.

Anyways, this recipe I will share is a second fave among my friends who live abroad especially in Los Angeles.  Everytime I visit them, there is always a request for me to bake Sans Rival, so I always bring my sans rival pans in my travels.  A couple of times I was able to get orders when I was in LA.

Sylvannas is the ultimate favorite and a "sister" of Sans rival. The sylvannas recipe is very tedious but worth it. I will share the recipe soon.

As much as possible, I will try to share, at the least  a recipe every month.

Cream Mousseline

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
9 large eggyolks
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup chopped cashew nuts or almonds or macadamia

Boil sugar and water until hard ball stage. TO TEST:  when you drop some in a glass of cold water it forms a ball. Remove from fire and set aside.


Beat egg yolks until lemon colored about 5 minutes. Add syrup, a little bit at a time and continue beating until 
smooth. Set aside.

Cream butter until fluffy around 5 minutes. Add in eggyolk-syrup mixture a little at a time until creamy.
Strain to remove coagulated egg yolks if there are any.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrentheit 

 Generously grease 4  (8 inch round) sans rival pans or regular cake pans.
Cover with aluminum foil (A VERY IMPORTANT TIP). Set aside.
 Meringue

1 cup eggwhites
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped cashew nuts or almonds or macadamia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat egg whites until frothy. Add sugar gradually, continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Fold in chopped nuts and vanilla.







Spread the meringue equally on the 4 pans. 
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
Remove from pan immediately and peel off the foil.
Cool on wire racks. ONCE YOU KNOW IT IS COOL, ASSEMBLE RIGHT AWAY.
DO NOT COOL FOR A LONG TIME OR ELSE THE MERINUE WILL SAG.

TO ASSEMBLE:

Put a dab of cream on the serving platter.
Place one meringue onto the platter. Spread with the cream mousseline. Sprinkle with nuts
Repeat procedure with the remaining meringue and cream and nuts.
Once assembled, frost all over with the cream and sprinkle the nuts on the top and sides of the
sans rival.  Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.

  

BTW, I USED ALMONDS IN THIS PHOTO....


No comments:

Post a Comment